Thursday 21 June 2012

Warning: Science Content

What a day! This could not have gone better! I heard through the grapevine that the Big House Choir shield has been won by... Snell? Way to go! My kind regards to the Harmonising Choir and to Freddie, and to the rest of our fantabulous house!!! You guys rock (if you'll excuse the terrible pun....)
Adding to my good mood is a finished novel, a nice afternoon tea of the best frozen yogurt in California, the fact that the weather was temperate for the first time since we got here, and the SFPD called to say someone had found Mum's purse in the park, with everything in it. The creep hadn't touched a thing, just riffled through, looking for cash. :o)
Anyhow, the meaning of my post's title rests in the fact that today was spent at the California Academy of Science. I had a blast! I learned sssoooo much, and I loved every moment. I can't start to describe the layout of the place. There were animals, and skeletons, and taxiderimies, and OMG!!! I know, I know. Only I can get hyper over a science museum, but so sue me.
We were met by a T-Rex skeleton. Yes, Kristen, I have taken pictures for you. I will download them when I have time, as I will with the mulititudes of pics I have taken over the past 5 days.
There was a movie that showed the seismic activity of the earth for the past few milenia, and was in a huge ampitheathre with a nearly 360o screen that allowed a person to feel that they were actually sinking through the layers of the earth. Ingenious. I'm so glad I don't get motion-sick!
We got to see a show on snakes, which would have been my favourite part of the day if we had been able to get close to them. It may be a bit goth, but I love snakes - they are one of my favourite animals, and I hate that they are forbidden completely in NZ. I had to leave my beloved pet albino cornsnake, Bindi, when I moved from America, so to be able to see snakes and other similar reptilian animals again was a real treat.
We also ran into a taxidermied kiwi and a moa skeleton - Us Kiwis are not completely forgotten!!!
There was an exhibit on African animals, which I liked, despite a long-held mistrust of taxidermies. They had so many animals, and I know it's no where near as good as seeing them in person, but it's good enough for now. There were cheetah, leopard, orix, lions, zebra, gorilla, wild dogs, roan antelope, thompson's gazelle, etc. I have pics. I will download. I promise. At the end of the exhibit was the skeleton of Lucy, the first and earliest hominid remains ever found. I had seen the remains before, when I lived in Cali as a four-year-old, and had to go to the university with Mum as she was doing her doctorate. I became quite close with the old bag-o-bones, and talked to her (don't laugh - I am not crazy!). She was my height, after all, all three feet of her. I liked seeing the exhibit again. Trip down Memory Lane.
The trip through the simulated rainforest was fun. A little on the over-heated side, though!
And, aarrgh! My camera died at the worst possible moment. I did however, manage to capture the last of the exhibit we were in - Wildlife of North America. I had just finished photographing a polar bear skin. They live in Alaska; it counts. ;o)
Must go. I skipped dinner to finish my book, and because I was still full after the frozen yogurt, but now I'm getting food shoved down my gullet. It's 9:45pm. Everyone's still up.
E=mc2 ;o)
A sincere good-bye from your mad scientist classmate,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment