Monday 25 June 2012

That's What You Get For Waking Up In Vegas!

10:00pm, Las Vegas time
The Excalibur
We landed in Las Vegas at four, but I didn’t get time near a computer. There is only one phrase to describe this place: OTT, seriously, un-comically over the top! Like, actually, there is so much money and ritz and glitter that you cannot see anything worth seeing. All the hotels are fighting for customers, and try to outdo each other, and it just comes across looking stupid.
The hotel we’re staying in, The Excalibur, is on the main Vegas Strip, and has a Medieval castle theme, so everything is stone or gilt (ha ha, try “guilt”) gold. It’s flashy, in a very rich kind of way. I’ll download pics when I can get the internet working; as we’re forbidden from going outside, I have time now....
All the hotels have shows or entertainment to attract people. And, I hate to admit it, but one or two seem quite interesting. There’s a CSI mock-up, solve the crime yourself at the MGM Hotel, I think, which the “Law & Order” fan and mystery/adventure-writer in me loves, and there’s a Body-Bits, see the dissection of preserved corpses at the Egyptian-themed Luxor Hotel next door. It’s shaped like a pyramid, and has hieroglyphics on the walls. I took pics. Phantom of the Opera is playing. Cirque du Soleil is also in town, doing three different shows, two of which seem good, but the other is more tailored to the local taste.... I have gotten a t-shirt that says “CSI: Crime Scene Investigators - Las Vegas” on it. I succumbed that much. Good God, I disgust myself. Why am I falling to the advertising industry’s hands and buying stuff, as much as I have wanted a CSI-themed tee? It’s exactly why they do shows that aren’t related to gambling and iffy stuff. I refuse to support the gambling culture!!!
I already dislike Vegas, if you guys haven’t figured. The heat alone nearly made me pass out when we got out of the airport, and I’m not the kind of person to pass out easily, contrary to appearance. I never have passed out before, promise.
I feel out of place around so much money and fashion and the obvious sleaze. I mean, we were warned by a friend before leaving Cali not to leave our room after dark because of the level of prostitution and scummy people here! Knowing stuff like that about this place has made me so paranoid. I’m looking up to check the door is locked every few minutes, looking through the peephole whenever I hear footsteps, watching my back whenever I’m out of the room, staring daggers at every male that happens within two metres of me. I’m certain I’m going to be hit over the head and dragged into a back alley. It’s actually terrifying. I mean, Mum and Dad won’t even let me take the elevator up two levels to the hotel room alone because of the scum around here. I’m 15, not a child, usually capable of looking after myself, but here, 15 and alone is too close to looking legal age to risk being alone for more than 5 minutes.
And, there is plain just too much noise and bustle and light. That’s what gets to me the most, is more in the present and less ignorable. I’m really claustrophobic here, actually. Just, the flashing lights, and need for attention, and how everything is false and shined over so you can’t see what’s really there, and how women are portrayed as toys. It’s sickening and scary and disgusting.
At the moment, there is loud music with a pounding bass beat from the pool outside our window, I think. It’s giving me a headache, as is the not eating since a slice of toast this morning and then wolfing nachos, as is the atmosphere, as is the constant stink of cigarettes. I feel so sick now.
I can’t wait until this leg of our vacation is over, and we’re off to Chicago. I know it’s a terrible mindset, and this is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but I can’t take it here!!!
While I’m at it, I’d just like to point out the unfairness of this whole set up, and the fact that this money could be going to, say, research to heal all the people that have gotten AIDS from this place in the past. Just saying. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas – Ha! Really? This amount of wealth put on show sickens me. I mean, in San Fran, all over the States, there are people on the streets, homeless because they couldn’t pay for medical care or university funds for their children. They are the survivors of wars and have been to hell and back, and they have nothing to show for it. But here, people flaunt their wealth because they can, and thousands and thousands of dollars flood in every day by gullible people wanting to win their fortunes when the gambling industry can afford statisticians to create games that mean that people are ripped off!!! It’s greedy and selfish and I can’t see how people have ignored the power imbalance for so long, and continue to do so. Mum bought food when she lived in Cali, and gave it to the poor and homeless as her “good deed of the day”. More power to her. I might do the same, to do my part for equality, not that there are any homeless that can afford to be anywhere near here.
This place is so different to NZ, not even on the same planet. I’m homesick and miserable, and miss my friends terribly. I just feel lost and adrift and scared.
See ya, if I survive this place to return to NZ,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment