Sunday 17 June 2012

Sunday Morning


12:30pm San Fran Time
Jayne’s house
Yee goodness. Food is very different here. It’s much sweeter and saltier, stronger tastes. We went to IHOP for breakfast. That’s the chain International House of Pancakes, just BTW, and it was so sweet and filling that I could only finish about a third of my meal.
We also went to the Unitarian Church of Santa Rosa this morning, it being a beautiful Sunday morning. Unitarianism is a religion based off 7 principals concerning treating all people with dignity and respect, compassion for everything and everyone, and respect for Mother Nature. We went to the Unitarian Church of Harrisburg, so my family has been UU for as long as I can remember. There is one UU church in NZ, in Auckland, and it only has approx 70 members.
It's gorgeous though. The building is an old cinema, actually, and is really been spruced up. I've attached photos I took.
We arrived an hour late, as Jayne, the friend we're staying with, misread the time, but we got the last few minutes of the service, and Bennett and I met the kids. There aren't that many for such a big congregation, three siblings, two boys and a girl. The one boy, Roger, is just younger than me, and is quite shy. He spent most of the morning avoiding me!
It's so funny, though. I can hardly understand people with a strong American accent. The boy introduced himself, and I had to get him to say his name three times because I just wasn't getting the broad "Ah'm Rrrawdgerrrr" that he answered me with! Not like it's a hard name.... I mean, the drummer from Queen was a Roger, but he wasn't a "Rrrawdgerrrr."
Gotta go. We didn't get to go swimming the other day, but we're going to the park, and there's a lagoon for swimming, and a lake for kayaking and paddle-boating. Can't wait!
Cheers,
Rachel








No comments:

Post a Comment