Saturday 23 June 2012

Eventful Kayaking Trip

Eeep. Today was a very long, tiring day. Mum, Jayne, Bennet, and I went kayaking on the Russian River on a two-hour trip. It's called the Russian River because of the influx of Russian immigrants during the trapping and hunting part of California's history. There is actually quite a large population of Russian decendants in the area.
Anyhow, we were split into two double kayaks, me and Jayne, and Mum and Bennett. It went alright, but I'm scared my ribs are going to be sore tomorrow. I like kayaking, but it is hard work some of the time. Today was warm enough, and sunny, but the wind picked up in the afternoon, chilling us all to the bone. Not to mention, if I'm not sunburned, I'm gonna eat my shoes, and paddling against the wind is a pain in the butt. Or... a pain in the shoulders, but oh well.
The kayak arrangments weren't working, and Jayne and Mum wanted to chat, so they gave Bennett and I our own kayak. Big mistake. We know what we're doing, yeah; we have an ocean kayak in NZ, but you don't have over hanging branches in the ocean. Bennett panicked when the current took us toward the bank, and... we capsized. The cord on my hat got caught around my neck, I was trapped under the kayak for a little while, and I was really shaken afterward. Got a lungful of water, and came up sputtering and gasping and shaking like a leaf. It was freezing water to boot. Not good.
Bennett redeemed himself, however. Rescued my escaped shoe, and helped Mum haul the overturned kayak in.
After the capsising, Bennett and I were really not liking the idea of getting back on the boats, so we split up, me with Jayne, and Bennett with Mum again, and limped our way back to where the boats were being picked up.
Must go. I'm really tired, and I still need to wash the river weeds outta my hair!
Cough, splutter, choke,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment