Sunday 17 June 2012

Grumble Mutter Ggrrr

8:20pm San Fran Time
Jayne’s house
Ggrrr. You think I’m intelligent enough to be able to turn on a shower, but no. There were three little knob things, and it was all very complicated, actually. I eventually managed to turn the water on (took a depressingly long time), but in the end, I gave up, and just had a cold shower. Highly annoying, especially I had been in the cold lake all afternoon. I would have spent more time fiddling, but what one has to realise is to go to Cali in summer is to go to Cali in a drought, and one doesn’t spend extra time fiddling when one is wasting water. But, as much as I gripe, it does feel much better to be clean and tidy and respectable again. I am very lucky for small mercies.
Jayne has a piano, which I count as another small mercy. I couldn't live without music of some description, and I can play Queen and Les Mis and Titanic and Pirates of the Caribbean and tinker with other songs to my hearts content.
Um... my one only major complaint so far is that, because Americans do tend to be larger than the rest of the world, the fashion companies have increased the sizes, and kept the numbers the same. Can you believe it??? So, I went shopping for a pair of boardshorts, because mine are starting to die, and saw that the sizes were 4-24. All goods. I’m an NZ 6-8. Could I find anything to fit? Nope. All didn’t even come anywhere close. I am a US size 0. Read it, Size 0. And, I am not a particularly skinny kid. Most of NZ is skinnier than me. (I am American, after all!) This is ridiculous!!! All the adults are quite well-built, and, all the teen girls I see make me look really chubby. There’s such a push for watching one’s weight. There are calories (the Imperial version of the kilojoule) on the menus, and the TV keeps having adverts for “An hour’s exercise a day!” amid all the fast food adverts. It’s disconcerting and infuriating and confuzzling.
Bloody... blimmin' perfect timing. Dinner is ready, it being 8:30pm, so I must log off. We're having spaghetti and salad.
Your starting-to-feel-slightly-anorexic pal,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment