Friday 29 June 2012

Research up to my frickin' eyes!

What an eventful day! I spent the whole day at the Chicago History Museum, in the Research Centre on the Third Level, up to my eyeballs in crime stats, maps of Chicago in the 60's, police books, underworld jargon, crime scenes, background history, etc. I learned loads, and will have to do a complete rehaul of my manuscript. Turns out there isn't actually a FBI Headquarters in Chicago, which is annoying as my main character works for the FBI.... So, I turned the Wabash County Police Station in South Downtown Chcago into the HQ. All the streets are similar to how they are now, and I've worked out where all the characters will reside. The most convinent place for the FBI Officer is the corner of Cicero Ave and Cermark Rd, as Cermark goes straight to Wabash Police, and Cicero goes down to the Jail and up to where...
The two victims whom the FBI Officer is sworn to protect can hide, at the corner of St John's Ave and Roger Williams Ave, which is far NW wider Chicago City, near the outskirts.
I also was surprised to learn just how many words were coined by the Chicago Mob that are still in use today. To "hijack", to have a "bad rap", to "get it", "dames", to "frisk" a suspect, calling money "dough" "bucks" or a thousand a "grand", a mug shot, a joint, to "rat" on someone, calling someone a "Big Shot", telling someone to "scram" or "beat it", being in the "hot seat", to "spill the beans", to "muscle in" on a conversation or fight, "peepers" for eyes, "punks", "queer", and "booze" are all common words invented in the Roaring Twenties. Not in use, but interesting, a "Chicago Bar" is an unusually heavy crowbar with a cane hook on the end. A "dummy" is a detective. A pistol is a "rod" or a "Roscoe". A sniper is an "organ grinder". The main problem drug was naracotics.

Stats on Crime, 1963/64:
Of the 758 people arrested on Murder Charges
Sentenced to Death - 4 from 64
Jail - None
House of Corrections - None
Juvie Hall - 1 from 63, 14 from 64
Probation - 54 from 63, 39 from 64
Fined - None
Motion Quashed in Court - None
Unknown Sentence or Released - 646

The Four Sentenced to Death were:
Andrew Lee Harper - Killed May 12, 64
John Holmes - Killed May 12, 64
Lyman A. Moore - Killed June 8, 64
Henry Mallett - Killed October 30, 64

An interesting note for Ben, Blaise, Teresa, and Rohaan -
Chicago was the home of the author of The Wizard of Oz, and the Emerald City is based strongly Chcago's White City. I have to say, some of the buildings ain't too far off....
We went to the Symphony Hall yesterday, which was a bit of a wipeout. We weren't there for a concert, and hence weren't allowed out of the main hall, and it's really tiny, not the sweeping staircase I thought and grand entrance I thought it would be. And, the store was closed for inventory. No! Very annoying. There was a cute bag with a piano keyboard pattern and a rose, and a French Horn fridge magnet. Ggrrr. Also saw a pic up of the First Horn Player, who has actually played the very same instrument that I now play when Mum's old teacher met him, and was very impressed with it.
On the weather front, there was an interesting happening - IT RAINED!!! Imagine that? Boys and girls, that was the first time any of us have seen rain since leaving NZ. No rain in Sydney. No rain in California. No rain in Nevada. Rain is a good thing, and I have missed it in the desert. It was actually overcast all day, and a measly 82 degrees Farenheit (26 Celcius). But, it's killer humid all the time. It's like breathing soup, and really not good for getting oxygen. I know why everything is green now... lots of rain and even more sun.
The food here is not at all bad. I'm actually eating, which is a change. We went to Berghoff's, a German American place which is the oldest restaurant in Chicago City, around since before the Great Fire of 1871. It was de-lish. I have to admit, the salad and lamb I got was very nice, and the Caramal Cheesecake was to die for!
Um... the deep dish pizza left a lot to be desired. It was not very nice.
But, all in all, I'm very interested. This is a truly facinating city, and there are many times that I have been thoughroughly annoyed that we are not living here, given this is where we would have moved if we hadn't gone to NZ. But, then I think of all my amazing friends back in NZ, and stop feeling so torn.
We're going to walk around downtown and explore, so I have to log off.
See you,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment