Wednesday 20 June 2012

Swing yer partner!

Okay. I've just gotten back from "watching" the square-dancing. I would have pics, but got cornered into doing the first square, and I went "???" to start with, but joined in for pretty much all of them after that.
It was really fun! I had a blast, but I'm very tired now. It's harder than it looks.
Yes, I can hear you laughing on your computers from here. Shy, two-left-feet Rachel, swingin' her way around a hoe-down to a country tune????? Whatever. I don't care. But, in answer to the teasing questions coming my way, yes, I can now "do-see-do" and "swing yer partner" (or get swung, given I was dancing girl), and all those stereotypical beginner moves.
Just clearing up the stereotypes now. No, not many of them actually wear the plaid shirts and jeans and fringed leggings. No one had fringed leggings, and most people were dressed in just plain shorts and t-shirts.
The only thing with the square-dancing is that there is a shortage of men, so if you get a female partner, suck it up and get over it. But, most of the women there are gay anyway, so for them, it really isn't a problem. Most of the guys are gay, too. One of those things. San Fran is gay capital of the world. For me, it was suck up having a gal partner and get over it. You just dance with who's free. I danced three squares, one with a guy and two with fellow girls.
Actually, I found the guys, who were all middle-aged, really intimidating. They're all the "farm-hand" types with the plaid shirts and jeans, and most of them could have made three of me.
The gals were really nice, and couldn't believe that I had never really danced before. They said I was one of the fastest learners to show up. Some of them were taking bets on how old I was, they told me later. The bets ranged from 16-18 years old!!! I'm 15. Bit of a change. (Looks very happy.... Starts eyeing the bar down the road.... ;o) Nah, jokes. The drinking age here is 21 anyway.)
Will sign off, and start a post catching up the other events of yesterday.
Yee-ha and all that jazz,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment