Saturday 16 June 2012

Petaluma

2:45pm San Fran Time
Jayne’s House
Okay, I don’t think we’re in Kan... New Zealand anymore! I was right in saying this isn’t home. I mean, this place, Petaluma, just outta San Fran, was the place I was born and raised for the first four years of my life, and I have no memory of it at all. It’s all new. I wasn’t expecting the heat, the dryness, the tawny-goldenrod sheen to the grass, the blistering winds, and the stagnant, dull air. It's painfully hot. I've adapted to the slightly colder NZ climate (though I fuss about that, too), and to be back in this desert atmosphere, especially while jet-lagged and out-of-it is a real toll on me. It's better for Mum, who likes this weather, but Dad and Bennett are suffering as much as I am!
Being an American, and living here for so long, and not coming back for so long, this is the first time I have ever heard an American accent as an accent, but now I can really pick it up, and can pick up that my voice has changed. My accent has faded, is more New Zealand-ish. Now, the Cali accent is really grating on my ears. It’s “dawllars,” not “dohllors.” And, they say “nawt”, not “noht”. It’s so different. It’s not normal, I concede.
I’m gonna sound FUNKY when I return. All my British- and Kiwi-speaking friends, I will completely understand if you can’t understand me, because none of the Americans I’ve talked to can understand my half-NZ talk.
Must go. Have places to go, people to see, and we’re going swimming soon, I think. Very tempting. It’s about... 95o Fahrenheit here, which for all you mathematicians, is about 30o Celsius.
Since Cali is partially a Spanish-speaking State,
Sayonara,
Rachel :o)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I remember you, little and cute in Petaluma. It was much too hot for me too. Heat makes me feel ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Me, cute? Never!
    Tell me about it! I nearly fainted a few times, and was in the beginning stages of sunstroke at one point. It's much better in NZ where it's more temperate.
    What you doing living in Auzzie if you hate the heat?
    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete