Friday 6 July 2012

Who YOU Callin' an Air-Headed Mall-Rat???

Yo, folks. As you may have guessed from the title of this post, I spent the day at the mall with my friend Olivia today. I expected it to be boring, as I don't really like shopping, but we had a blast. Olivia is 19, studying bio at uni, obsessed with comics and dragons, and the most tomboy person I know, pretty close. (Kristen, my tomboyish sidekick, in order to give her a run for her money, you would need to cut your hair all off shorter than your fringe. Just sayin')
So, we just meandered about the mall, got lost, told lots of jokes, rambled on about the stories we're in the middle of (we are both authors in our free time, but she inks cartoons more than writes the old fashioned novel base I prefer), laughed and gossiped and chatted.
She's doing an early Halloween gig with a gang of her friends, as several of them will be away this Halloween, and they figured "What the heck? We'll do our own Halloween party in July for the hell of it." So, we were shopping for costume bits-and-pieces for her, and basic clothes and gifts for people back home for me.
She got everything she needed, but I struck out almost entirely. Everything is too big for me clothes-wise, and I got into a very unfortunate situation in the stationary shop, but I'm not going into detail about that, as it is just plain too awkward for a school blog. Sorry.
I did, however, find a Queen CD that I have not got, A Day at the Races, about which I am stoked. Listened to it in the car. Teo Torriate is haunting, You and I is funny and adorable, Good Ol' Fashioned Lover Boy is always a favourite and not as iffy as the name suggests, Somebody to Love is cute... I really like Queen! ;o)
But, that was only part of the day. The morning was spent at the house of a woman from church. Her son keeps and breeds snakes, so Mum and I got to hive down into their basement, and hold the most gorgeous albino Rosy Boa. I know it's hard to believe someone as fussy and scardy-cat as me likes snakes, so this may just be the boot up the backside I need for downloading pictures... tomorrow. It's 12am and I haven't gotten any sleep for two weeks, darn close. There are several of Mum and I with the snake. Unfortuently, Jonothan, the son, is away at the moment, and his mum is somewhat scared of them, so their cages haven't been cleaned, the water is dirty, their shed skins are still in there.... I really feel sorry for the poor things, and wish like anything there was more I could do. I didn't have the stuff or the time to help clean the cages today, and some of those snakes are big enough to pose a real danger to me. I'm not risking handling them alone.
Kendra and Peter, other friends, had invited us over to their place for dinner, and Olivia could stay as well, so that was really fun. I also saw another old friend, Libby, who's 16 now. I hate to admit it, but I can't really remember her all that well. She's changed a lot from the few memories I do have.
Olivia had to leave early because she was more tired than I was. I curled up on the couch and slept for most of the evening, I'm ashamed to admit. I still have a bit of a headache from yesterday's adventures at Hershey.
And, OMG, I finally got in touch - albeit briefly - with another old friend of mine, Jacob, who was my best friend in Year 4. I haven't seen him since then, and it was good to get his email today. I had called, but was told by his mum that he was spending the week at his grandparents, and wouldn't return until Sunday. We fly out on Wednesday, so I'm hoping he has some time just to go out for lunch or something and catch up.
Sadly, the friend that most wanted to see me, Grace, I think is away, as she has not answered my email, and I know that she has moved from where she lived when I lived here. I'm really sad about that. I miss her something awful.
On that cheerful note, it's late... again.
Cheers,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment