Thursday 5 July 2012

Hershey Park

As the title of this suggests, today was spent at Hershy Park, the amusment park just outside Harrisburg. I had forgotten just how much I hate amusement parks! I don't like roller coasters, animatronics give me the creeps, the light and noise give me a headache, it's always too hot, the waiting in line tries my patience, my legs hurt. I was so lethargic and out-of-it all day. I hate to say it, but I was a real stick-in-the-mud for everyone else. By the time we had been there an hour, I was almost in the beginning stages of heatstroke, and was crying because my head hurt so bad most of the afternoon.
Don't get me wrong, I did have fun for some of it. Watching everyone is fun. It was me, Bennett, Adam, Kira, Danielle, and Connor, plus my and Adam's parents. The little ones were so excited, and Kira was thrilled to come with us, since it would have been a very boring day for her otherwise. Adam enjoyed himself, too; he just won't admit it. Says all the rides were "too tame". Ha! I went on very few rides, actually, but I picked very carefully, so I liked the ones I went on. Two roller coasters that weren't that bad (Lighting Racer and Comet), the merry-go-'round (for old time's sake, you see. I was very bored) and the Reeses Challenge (a lazer-shooting game) are all I can remember. I was too lethargic to go on very many rides until after the sun set. I tend to get more cheerful after dark. I really don't like the sun.
The most I remember is Zoo America across the road. It's purely American animals, which is good, as those are all the ones I miss seeing. I saw the most magestic Grey Wolf (my favourite animal tied with it's smaller cousin, the red fox), blinking its amber eyes at us all in distain and panting in the 102 degree heat. Mum went to see the reptile house, and I tagged along, as I love snakes. They had a corn snake like my old pet, Bindi! I was stoked. They also had two rattlesnkes, an indigo snake, a rosy boa, and a king snake. Pretty dull, actually. All but the rattlers I handled when I volunteered in the Pet Shop a long while ago. It was still good to see them, though. I miss snakes in NZ. Vampire bats were in the desert exhibit, too, freaking out a few people who immediately thought "DRACULA!!!" until realising that they are actually under two ounces apiece, and totally harmless to humans, on top of being quite cute really. The moose there, a stag, was over six feet high at the shoulder, and the black bear was not small either. They had a scale painted on the wall to show the average height of black, grizzly, and polar bears. I am less that a foot above a polar bear's hip joint when it's standing on it's back legs. They can get over nine feet tall, and over 1000 pounds!
Have to log off. I'm really sticky and soggy, and have to have a shower, and it's already past midnight, and I'm up before 8am tomorrow, too! I am going to be as pleasant to be around as a proverbial bear with a sore head!!!
Farewell for now,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment