Sunday 8 July 2012

More of Friends, and a bout of... homesickness?

Today was fun, too, and I spent it with Olivia and Robyn. We hung out at church, and then all went swimming afterwards. I showed them my sketchbook, as Olivia does cartooning. She says she's very impressed. Robyn, too. I was pleased that they liked the pics, as most of them are from last year, and are hence not very good.... I've improved quite dramatically over the past six months, but I sucked before.
Anyhow, more importantly, we got to see the new church building. It's kinda stuffy and old, and in a neighbourhood where I wouldn't want to be caught after dark, but they are helping there, and doing well. Supporting the food drive (like our cans week at Macleans... but they don't get a muffti day!), and setting up homeless shelters and putting money into a neighbourhood that could be gorgeous if it was not so forgotten.
We went swimming in a creek in the 5 Senses Garden. Good God, it was freezing! I couldn't feel my feet after about a minute. I didn't go in past my thighs, coz I didn't want to get my swim suit wet, coz that would make it colder! (I'm a wuss, I know) It also didn't help that this was the most overcast day we've had so far. Bad planning.
I really don't want this to be the last time I see them, however, as... it's starting to really hit me how hard it is to move countries, and live in two places so far apart. I mean, I know they say "your home is where your heart is", but what is your heart has been thouroughly rent in two? I mean, I wouldn't want to live here, as the school system is terrible and I have close friends that I miss terribly, even having been gone for only a month.
But, when I go back to NZ in... wow, it's only really a week, isn't it?... I'll be leaving close friends here, and an environment in the UCH in which I feel truly safe and cherished and able to be myself.
And, I know it's terrible for my friends here, as they've lost me once, and now they're losing me again. I'm losing them again, and now meeting again when I'm older, being able to really chat and gossip and all that, knowing them, it's harder to go back to NZ. I'll miss Robyn's quiet, non-judgemental wisdom, and Olivia's advice and witty, slightly off-base humour. Kira's shy spunk and young innocence. She's only 13, and doesn't hang with the usual popular gang. And, I think my friend Grace is away, as she hasn't replied to my email, and I know she wanted to see me. It's a real shame. I miss her so much, but maybe it's for the better that I don't have another link keeping me here. I haven't even seen my old friend Jacob yet. That will be hard. I've missed him a lot, and we didn't part on very good terms last time.
I'm starting to think that the tectonic plates should up and move themselves so that Pennsylvania is a close drive to NZ, and we could drive to Cali, too, damn it. Long-distance is a pain in the butt. *shakes head in dismay* What am I gonna do?
Sorry, this has been a very depressing post, so I will sign off now, and let you all get on with your lives, be cheerful and such.
Bye,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment