Thursday 12 July 2012

*Deep Breaths* Landed Safely.

Okay, the plane did not fall out of the sky, and we landed safely in San Franciso. Today was... interesting. Went out, and when we came back, the dog, Katie, had gone into the bedroom and eaten Mum's valued jar of Marmite that she had been rationing. Ate the whole thing. Mum was so mad, as she had carefully scraped every scrape of Marmite she had left into that jar and saved it, rationed it, for months. She hates Vegemite, so is really quite devastated. The dog's fine, just ended up drinking two bowls of water and licking her chops.
We met Karen and Richard for dinner at a nice little low-key restaurant, which was very nice. They couldn't believe how much Bennett and I have grown, as they haven't really seen us since we moved to PA, when I was four and Bennett was one month!
Afterwards, we visited the bookshop Copperfield's. I remembered it from when I was four. We used to go there all the time. And, I am a DANGER in a bookshop! Talked to the guy who runs it, who is an avid fan of Sir Auther Connan Doyle, and we chatted Sherlock Holmes for the whole time I was there. I now have three new unread Sherlock Holmes novels to plough through on the plane home. Very happy. And, now I know better than to rush through the books, and will take my time and try to deduce what Sherlock sees in each of the clues before he works it out in the end. That's all it takes to resusitate me - a good book and a chance to use my little brain-box!
Not quite, actually. I've still been a bit muddled and depressed, but I'm trying not to let my mind wander on any... philoscophical tangents. Thinking too much only gets me in trouble! (Taking back the bit about being happy using my brain....) I miss everyone so much it hurts now, from two different continents, and I still don't know where "home" truly is for me. I'm more and more convinced, as I think of how great it will be to see all my friends, and have the steady routine of school, and the upcoming Choir trip to Wellington. I have things to look forward to, and my life is there now.  It's where I've settled down, and I would continue to hate the schooling in the USA. I think, all in all, the choice to move and to be held back half a year was a good one, in the long run, as much as I miss my friends in the States.
There we are, I'm thinking too much, and have the tears in my eyes to prove it!
Have to sign off now.
See you all soon,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment