Monday 2 July 2012

Memory Lane....

I had a good day. Slept incredibly late, was woken up by Kira knocking on the bedroom door, spent the whole day draped over a couch remeniscing about the time we were friends before I left, complaining about tough demands from schools, etc. The kids in Intermediate school don't get breaks, only twenty minutes to eat lunch. No morning tea and no second lunch time. They get more homework than we do, considerably, and homework during the summer holidays and over weekends. The band and choir is only half-hour classes in school. It's a typical American school band, too, and most of the choir is only there because their parents forced them. Same with orchestra. Could you imagine ANYONE accepting that at Macleans???
I am remembering more and more about my memory here. We went through Adam's old yearbook this evening, just Adam, me, Lisa, and Mum. I'm surprised at how young we all looked, and how chubby I was, and how many kids were cruel to me, and the cliques, and the stupidness of American football. It was very interesting.
We also went out to dinner with old friends, Sue and Tom Rimby. Funny, as I forgot, and was just sitting down to dinner with Kira and her family when the phone rang and Mum said "Cough Cough, where are you???"
I remember Sue very well as she took me to her work at Shippensburg University on Take Your Daughter to Work Day because Dad's work as an analyst is terribly dull, and Mum can't take me, because so much of psychology is confidential. I loved it, had a blast in the Bio Department, saw an alligator, several snakes of different types, a leopard gecko, etc. So, it was fun to see Sue again, and say thank you. Talked a lot about the differences between here and NZ and politics and such like. I listened, as I love listening in to the adults' conversation now, but Bennett was bored out of his gourd!
It was interesting, as Sue saw me at church - where we know her from - and saw me, and thought "That looks a lot like Rachel Childs from a few years back..." Reason for that. I tend to look like me.
It's 1 in the morning here, so I better log off.
Good night,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment